Saturday, May 21, 2011

Great Day in the Garden

If you recall my last post I said the next two big projects are compost bins and weed control. I'm happy to report they have been completed.

May 14th Eagle Scout Alumni
The Eagle Scout Alumni built a four bin composting system for the garden. I was out of town that weekend so I don't have any photos of the Eagle Scouts at work but I do have a photo of the finished product. They are very sturdy and I can't wait to start making compost.

Click on the photo for a larger view.
They also installed hoops on the wooden beds. This will be great for extending the growing season and for keeping the critters out of the beds.


Thank you Eagle Scouts! You always do great work!


May 21st Symantec


The Weed Control Project. To give you a little background... A few months ago one of our volunteers (Sam) told me she mentioned the Haven Garden to a classmate (Debbie), telling her I was looking to put in a native walking garden. Debbie is the owner of Native Heart Landscapes and she volunteered her services to the Haven Garden. Debbie spent several hours with me in the garden listening to my idea's and wishes. From this conversation she created a wonderful design. As we talked about plants and the timing around installing the garden she pointed out we would need to do something about all the weeds. She suggested we use the cardboard and mulch method and so was born The Weed Control Project.

A group of volunteers from Symantec took on the project. They laid down lots and lots of cardboard and moved 15 yards of mulch. What a great group of people. I could hear them laughing and having fun while I was taking care of other things in that garden. They really worked hard! See for yourself...

Click on photos for a larger view


While most of the team was working on the weeds I had a few helpers plant tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, bush beans, hot pepper, sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, basil and marigolds.


This sweet young lady harvested sugar snap peas,
snow peas and spinach.









Not only did this team work hard but when Symantec heard what our wish was for this area of the garden they donated $5000.00 so we could install the native walking garden! I almost cried when I got the news.
Thank you Symantec!


 I hope to see you all in the garden again.

Symantec Volunteers

15 yards of mulch 6 inches deep on top of cardboard.
The beds are all planted....







 ...but one. This bed just two weeks ago was full of broccoli. Well not any more. Look at the photo and tell me why all the broccoli is gone...
 
Do you see it? If you guessed gofer you would be right.
When you garden you have to take the good with the bad. 

The fruit trees are full of fruit
It was a great day in the garden
Thank you again 
Eagle Scout Alumni and Symantec Volunteers

Next project
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre,
 'Au revoir, gopher.'

1 comment:

  1. the garden looks great! nice to see so many people helping out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment.